I have a problem with Nabisco and all these new Oreo flavors they keep coming out with. Cookie dough, banana split, Reese’s, fruit punch… Don’t they know I have a hard enough time not eating an entire package of regular Oreos?! I managed to survive the summer without going completely hog wild but then they had to go and make caramel apple flavored Oreos.
CARAMEL. APPLE. OREOS.
I love caramel apple. Please enter exhibits A, B and C into evidence:
A. The BEST freaking drink I have ever made – the Caramel Apple Pie Cocktail.
B. Super yummy and super easy Caramel Apple Cheesecake Cookies.
C. My “disgustingly good” Pumpkin Caramel Apple Magic Bars.
I started seeing these new fall flavored Oreos all over Instagram about two weeks ago. I heard they would be available at “select” Target stores. I had to have them. I couldn’t find them.
So I did what any normal person would do in such a situation. Last Friday, I asked all my coworkers before we went home to look for them if they ended up at a Target over the weekend. That is how I scored a package. Then they popped up in my Target so I bought two more.
I tried one and they were pretty good but they weren’t quite caramel-y enough for me. I mentioned this to a very wise friend who immediately suggested dipping them in caramel (thanks Greg!). I loved the idea but was worried about the stickiness factor so I decided that not only would I cover the cookies in caramel, I would also cover them in chocolate!
These were really easy to make! They took me about an hour and a half start to finish – no baking necessary! – and they were a HUGE hit at work. I love it when you get such a big payoff for minimal effort!
Chocolate Dipped Double Caramel Apple Oreos
2 packages of Caramel Apple Oreos
1 (14 oz) package of caramels, unwrapped
2 Tbsp water
2 (12 oz) packages of semi-sweet chocolate chips (melting chocolate or chocolate bars would also work)
1. Line two baking sheets with wax paper and lay out 3 dozen of the Caramel Apple Oreos.
2. Melt the unwrapped caramels and 2 Tbsp of water (you could also use heavy cream instead) in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
3. Spoon the melted caramel on top of the Oreos. I just kept the caramel on the burner and worked on the counter next to it. Keeping the caramel warm prevented it from starting to harden back up while I was working with it. Once the Oreos are topped with the caramel put them in the refrigerator until the caramel is set – about 15 minutes.
4. While the cookies are chilling in the fridge melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler, or in the microwave.
5. After the caramel has set dip the Oreos into the melted chocolate, making sure all sides are covered. I dropped the Oreo caramel side down into the chocolate, and using two forks made sure the sides were covered before flipping it over to cover the bottom. Lift the cookie out with one of the forks and place back on the wax paper lined cookie sheets.
6. Once all the Oreos have been dipped let them sit until the chocolate has hardened. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place and they should keep for a few weeks. Not that they will last that long!
Full disclosure: For some reason, on only some of the Oreos, the caramel oozed through the chocolate. I’m not sure why this happened, so if you are an expert in candy making and can provide some kind of explanation or tips on preventing this, please leave me a comment!
The leaky caramel didn’t really matter though because these cookies are FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC! The caramel and chocolate combined with the golden Oreo cookie are reminiscent of a Twix bar. Add in the caramel apple flavor of the cookie filling and you have a decadent treat inspired by the flavors of fall!
Of course, after I finished making these I saw a new Instagram post with a picture of Pumpkin Spice Oreos! Oh Nabisco, why do you do these things to me?!
Oh, right. So I can make stuff like this!!
If you’d like to see MY picture of the Pumpkin Spice Oreos when I get my hands on them be sure to follow me on Instagram!