Hey all! Hope everyone had a great summer! It’s been a while since I made anything worth blogging about. A business law class (whose dumb idea was it to take THAT in a 5 week condensed summer session???) left me pretty burnt out and uninspired. I have spent the last few weeks hiding out in the air conditioned glory of my living room and watching Naked and Afraid XL on the Discovery Channel.
Leave it to my favorite season to bring me out of my baking funk… About two weeks ago all kinds of fall themed goodies started popping up in my Pinterest feed, and then I saw an article about the newest seasonal flavor of M&Ms – Pecan Pie! I managed to get my hands on a bag last week and then these Cranberry Pecan Pie Magic Bars were born!
Cranberry Pecan Pie Magic Bars
Adapted from Samoa Magic Bars by The Domestic Rebel
1 box of Butter Recipe cake mix from Betty Crocker
1/2 cup butter, melted
Brown Sugar Crumble
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup Pecan Pie M&Ms
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside. (I used a metal, nonstick pan. The baking times may vary if you use glass.)
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, egg and melted butter until a soft dough forms. Press the dough evenly in the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is baking, make the brown sugar crumble by combining the melted butter, flour and brown sugar with a fork until crumbs form.
- When the 10 minutes is up, remove the pan from the oven and pour about 1/2 cup of the sweetened condensed milk on top of the cake. Next, evenly cover the cake with the dried cranberries, chopped pecans and Pecan Pie M&Ms. Drizzle on the remaining sweetened condensed milk and then top everything with the brown sugar crumble.
- Return to the oven and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, until the crumble begins to brown.
- Remove from the oven. Allow the bars to set at room temperature until cool before cutting into bars.
These bars would be perfect for a fall bake sale, or a Thanksgiving dessert table – not that you need a specific reason to make them. Sometimes you just want something to
stuff in your face snack on while you watch Fear the Walking Dead (why is it so stressful? We KNOW what happens!!).
Whatever your reason for making them, you will find these magic bars an easy treat to whip up. If you can’t find the Pecan Pie M&Ms the Harvest Blend M&Ms would make an excellent substitute. I just love the fall color palette!
Now, I just need Mother Nature to get on board with my seasonal obsession. Today’s forecast high is 94 degrees! Not quite pumpkin picking weather just yet…