Hi all! Is it finally starting at act like spring where you are? I think the temperature here in NJ actually got above 60 degrees today! Of course, it’s supposed to be all crappy and rainy today but that’s okay because I just baked a batch of sunshine last night. :-) Lemon cake, coconut flakes, Lemon Creme Oreos, pretty pastel White Chocolate M&M’s. These Lemon Coconut Magic Bars look like spring and taste like summer!
Lemon Coconut Magic Bars
Adapted from Samoa Magic Bars by The Domestic Rebel
1 box of lemon cake mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup Easter White Chocolate M&M’s
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut flakes
10 Lemon Creme Oreos
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13×9 inch pan with foil, spray the foil lightly with cooking spray and set aside. (I used a metal, nonstick pan. The baking times may vary if you use glass.)
2. In a large bowl combine the cake mix, egg and butter until a soft dough forms. Press the dough evenly in the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. While the dough is baking, roughly chop the Oreos into small pieces and measure out the M&M’s, white chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
4. Remove the pan from the oven and pour about 3/4 of the sweetened condensed milk on top of the cake. Next, evenly cover the cake with the chopped Oreos, white chocolate chips, coconut flakes and White Chocolate M&M’s. Drizzle the remaining sweetened condensed milk on top.
5. Return to the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven. Allow the bars to set at room temperature until cool before cutting into bars. I stored mine overnight in a covered container in the refrigerator before taking them in to work the next day, but according to the original recipe these will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for several days.
I’ll be honest – this might be the best (non-alcoholic) thing I’ve made to date. The house smelled wonderful while it was baking, the lightness of the lemon and the coconut flavors keep it from being TOO sweet and I just love the colors of the M&M’s. This would be an easy treat to make for Easter, or for the weekend, or for Monday… You really don’t need any reason to make these bars other than the fact that they are absolutely delicious!
Happy Friday everyone! Hope you all have a great weekend!